moderated Re: am I losing my mind or is we coding really that different by browser?

Van Lant, Robin

I totally hear you, Brian, and that’s why I try not to use it, but there are times when it does work better.  Thankfully, we’re behind lots of firewalls here, so I think that helps with the security stuff, since I’m only doing internal web applications.

I think I’ll see if I can get Firefox.  I had it at one point when we first switched to Workday and Workday accessibility said I needed to use Firefox over IE.  That was years ago and I lost firefox when I got a new computer and upgraded to Windows 10.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 11:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: am I losing my mind or is we coding really that different by browser?

Robin,

            The only broad insight I can offer is that Internet Explorer has not been being maintained, beyond security updates, for a very long time now.  It has not been keeping up with web coding changes, and there have been very many, since it went into what I call "walking dead" stage.  What you get when using IE can, in many instances, be significantly different than what you get in any currently maintained browser, and there are occasions where what you get may be "easier to use" and others where it's an absolute mess.  You really should not be using IE, ever, when security is important, e.g., online banking.  Here I'll insert my usual list of articles on why you should dump IE, immediately if not sooner, a number written by experts on IE:

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

Using any one of many currently supported browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Edge, Vivaldi, Waterfox, and the list goes on and on will also provide occasions where one "plays with" a given website better than another, or possibly multiple others, do.  I recently submitted a bug report to the folks at NVDA because I was getting wildly different behaviors between Firefox and Chrome, and one of the things I learned during the back and forth on this issue is that any screen reader often has to make guesses and decisions, the former if certain information is absent, and the latter if it's present, but could be ignored or processed in different ways.  'Tis the nature of the beasts, and the exact behaviors can vary depending on the specific beasts involved.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114