moderated Re: am I losing my mind or is we coding really that different by browser?

Randy Barnett

As always you are not getting that we often don't have a choice. Sometimes IE is the only way to do something we need to do. So in effect you are telling us to just not do it and rely on sighted help. Of courts we understand the risk and are capable of making that decision are selfs.

On 11/20/2020 10:16 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Robin,

            The only broad insight I can offer is that Internet Explorer has not been being maintained, beyond security updates, for a very long time now.  It has not been keeping up with web coding changes, and there have been very many, since it went into what I call "walking dead" stage.  What you get when using IE can, in many instances, be significantly different than what you get in any currently maintained browser, and there are occasions where what you get may be "easier to use" and others where it's an absolute mess.  You really should not be using IE, ever, when security is important, e.g., online banking.  Here I'll insert my usual list of articles on why you should dump IE, immediately if not sooner, a number written by experts on IE:

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

Using any one of many currently supported browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Edge, Vivaldi, Waterfox, and the list goes on and on will also provide occasions where one "plays with" a given website better than another, or possibly multiple others, do.  I recently submitted a bug report to the folks at NVDA because I was getting wildly different behaviors between Firefox and Chrome, and one of the things I learned during the back and forth on this issue is that any screen reader often has to make guesses and decisions, the former if certain information is absent, and the latter if it's present, but could be ignored or processed in different ways.  'Tis the nature of the beasts, and the exact behaviors can vary depending on the specific beasts involved.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss