Re: Enterprise software

epierce@...

Given that employees (who are acting in good faith) have little or no real legal protection from being attacked by enterprise software vendors with political connections that have deeply evil motivations, it isn't apparent to me why you would refer to the harsh realities involved in surviving in the current, typically toxic workplace as "passivity".

I take it that you have no actual experience with worker representation, or how accessibility is actually taken up in highly dysfunctional organizational cultures.

The balance of power is usually overwhelmingly weighted against an employee that dares to complain. Period.

Nothing will change until the existing, flawed architectures of the cash cows products of large enterprise software vendors are redone from the ground up with "accessibility built in". Until that paradigm shift takes place (probably about the same time as world peace is established), the vendors will viciously guard their profit centers and make sure that the management (including the accessibility bureaucracy) of their customers "buys in" to maintaining the status quo.

I hope you can "connect the dots" here. Again, the employee typically has almost no power, and the employer and vendor have almost all the power.

A situation has evolved where customer management typically has a vested interest in maintaining power by viciously suppressing any significant internal criticism of problems with enterprise software.

I would be overwhelmed with happiness if you could cite cases to the contrary of legal or administrative settlements that involve enterprise software accessibility.

To give you some idea of the appalling climate for workers in many organizations, please see the article at the following link:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/96/open_boss.html

"Is Your Boss a Psychopath?
Odds are you've run across one of these characters in your career. They're glib, charming, manipulative, deceitful, ruthless -- and very, very destructive. And there may be lots of them in America's corner offices."
BY Alan Deutschman
12-19-2007