moderated Re: Access to network license via VPN

Thomas Stivers

Jacob,

You will be able to authorize your network copies of JAWS over a VPN as long as the clients can reach the license server. You will want to set the system environment variable LSFORCEHOST to the domain name or IP address of your license server. The clients will need ongoing access to the server as JAWS phones home regularly.

This setup is pretty frustrating as you or your users will constantly be getting dumped into demo mode whenever the VPN goes away. I reached out to FS about this issue and they set up my organization to be in their sponsored software program. The rep stated that this is available to organizations who have network licenses of JAWS, Fusion, or ZoomText. This way anyone with an email address at our domain can get an annual subscription to JAWS which will continue to be renewed as long as they are with the organization. These annual licenses of JAWS are not tied to the VPN at all. They will continue to work on subways, airplanes, Etc.

As far as I know this is all legal and above board as it was a result of me reaching out to FS tech support.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jacob
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 3:45 AM
To: JFW <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Access to network licence via VPN

Hi!

In the job we use network licences for JAWS and ZoomText. It works fine but if a client leave the building the licence is ofcourse lost. Does any one know if it's possible to get access to a licence if I install a VPN server on the PC that host the licence server? Then the clients can connect via VPN when they're out of range on our wifi to grab a licence.
Also one more important question. If it's possible will it be legal then? The meaning is ofcourse only to give access to the licences for our own PC's.

OZ0TE Jacob

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.