moderated Re: new to jaws after 10 years using a mac

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
For documentation, the information in the FS Reader is quite helpful, these are daisy books with both text an speech, so you can review them either way.
Yes, you can use any command using just a perkins keyboard, and I believe there are several additional functions keys on the Focus that can make it even easier.
Space with dot 8 and a set of other keys act like a prefix to the following keystroke.
Dot1: WIndows Key
dot2: Option Key
Dot 3: Control key
dot 4: FN (as in F4)
Dot 5: JAWS key

So if you type space with dots 4 and 5 followed by “D (THe letter, Mac is saying I put 500 there) ” JAWs will act as if you pressed jaws key and F4, and will exit.
For having JAWS only occasionally speak, you want to turn on Speech on demand. You should be able to find this in the JAWS setting center.
To open JAWS Setting center, press the JAWS key and the number 6.
THen move to the default configuration, with control-shift-D.
 You should be on a search field at this point, go ahead and search for smart and then change as you see fit.

HTH!
Jonathan Cohn

On Nov 5, 2020, at 6:01 AM, Stephanie <naturelovingmom@...> wrote:

 Hello all,

 I recently purchased my first windows pc for over ten years and have jaws 2020. I also have a Focus braille display.

 First of all, is there a way of navigating the screen using the focus display? Switching between display and keyboard is quite annoying, or perhaps I just need to get used to it. Also, how do I mute the speech and then unmute it again when necessary.

Lastly, is there a document, or book [in brf or word] with help on how to use jaws? I don't do well with audio and prefer a written reference if possible.

Thank you so much for your help.

Steph