moderated Re: using jaws to work at a call centre as an incoming customer service agent

ratshtron

I worked at a call center a good while back and when I started there it was still using dos 3.3 and I believe I was instrumental in haviing the system switched over to windows 95 at the time so you can see it was a real good while ago. we switched to jaws at that time and I was the first one to actually use jaws with the dos 3.3 system one other person there was using a braille navigator terminal and was switched to the alva terminal. for some reason the other person there didn't think windows 95 would work with speech and braille but we should him and the company it could. when I worked there I was able to do some things that worked for me to make certain procedures work faster for me by creating macros and even doing a little amature scripting for myself and was able to share some of what I did with the other persn there. so after all that rambling, jaws should work just fine for the most part depending on how much the company will help with getting needed scripting done and the like.

Legend has it that on Monday 11/2/2020 02:36 PM, Ann Byrne said:
In the case you mention, did the company do the scripting or was it a third party? where does one find a third party scripter?

Thx
At 10:20 AM 11/2/2020, you wrote:
On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 09:06 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

JAWS will work, but the degree to which it will function depends largely on the software being used.

If your call center has anyone who can script for JAWS, it would be a good idea to have them look at your company software to see if it works well with JAWS.

-Having been in the position of having to assess this exact situation in the past, it cannot be overstated enough that someone familiar with JAWS needs to, at a very minimum, see how it works with all software the employee is expected to use. Call centers are very fast-paced environments, and you really can't afford to have things work perfectly 96% of the time.In addition, and this was a problem at the company I was working with for the client I was working with, a significant amount of the software they were using was custom and not web-browser-based, and all of that had to be custom scripted.Provided everyone knows that the effort to get you up and running could (note: could) be extensive, and everyone's willing to commit to doing the necessary slogging, there's no reason it couldn't work out. It did for the client to whom I make indirect reference because the company was committed to her and to the expense (and in this case it was significant) of having all the custom JAWS scripting done to allow her to be successful in that role. --

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041 Â

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. Â Â Â Â Â Â ~ Lawrence Krauss