moderated Re: Jaws 2018 or 2019 with Adobe acrobat xi standard

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I'm not sure, Adrian. I really like the way Edge does text-based files. As you say, it does them better than Adobe sometimes. But if you want to view  a file that's not text-based, and need to use Acrobat Reader, I think you might need to set that as your default to do so. I suppose you could check the pdf, and see if each one is text-based. If it's not, you can press ALT plus ENTER, click the change button, and switch temporarily to Acrobat to view that particular pdf.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 3:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2018 or 2019 with Adobe acrobat xi standard

In that case, I wonder if it makes sense for Edge to be my default for PDF files and to rely on convenient OCR for image PDF files.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 6:14 PM

Hi, Adrian. I find that, if the pdf document is text-based, Edge does well, but if the pdf needs OCR scanning such as goes on in JAWS, if a document shows up as "empty" in Adobe DC, Edge just shows a couple of graphics, and won't read the content at all.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:53 AM

David,

Now that you’ve made yourself into our resident browser expert, thanks to your well-received book, I’m curious how you feel about Edge’s handling of PDF files. I’ve always opened them in Adobe Reader, but the other day I opened one in Edge. It was a credit card statement, and Edge laid it out exactly as it should be. Adobe Reader had never done so with these statements, and I’d tried a variety of AR settings. I’m considering making Edge the new default for all PDF files.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:48 AM

Hi,

Simplest would be to install Acrobat DC. Adobe probably doesn’t even support the XI version any more.

David

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.