moderated Re: when hopefully JAWS2021 official release will be available

Th epublic beta has been out I think for about a month now.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joyce Feinberg
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 7:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: when hopefully JAWS2021 official release will be available

In an interview Wednesday evening, Eric Damery said that jaws 2021 along with fusion and Zoom text 2021 will be released around mid November. There will be a public beta in the next couple of days but if you changes will occur from feedback of that public beta at the release. There will be additional updates in mid December and another one at the end of January. Updates will continue through 2021 around every six weeks. With each of these updates, there may be additional features at it Along with bug fixes.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 10:38 AM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

In Canada we cannot get the monthly SMA as a subscription.  We have to pay the $165 for the home version up front.  Yes, it is $165, I just renewed my SMA. Still cheap.  As one of my dog clients said, “It really depends on one’s priorities.” The comment had nothing to do with the SMA, it was pertaining to having the dogs ready when I came to pick them up, leash, knowing where the dog is etc.  You’d be surprised, some don’t know where the leash is and if they forget I’m coming, they could spend time just looking for the leash.      

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: October 28, 2020 11:15 PM

In my opinion it's always sworthwhile to keep up-to-date with Jaws unless of course you are using NVDA. The fact is that eventually you have to get caught up because Windows 10 changes so quickly and even with Office features change and are added all the time especially if you use Office 365 and there is simply no good reason to not always run the latest version.

Jaws is not quite as it used to be where a new version meant possibly major new features, nowadays sometimes these features are added half way through the year and in any case, if you don't upgrade on a regular bases or, if you live in the US, use Jaws via the subscription based model, you eventually have to pay hundreds of Dollars to get caught up, you might as well pay the $7 or $8 a month or whatever the subscription costs or if you use th eolder 2-year license model by the new SMA right after you use your last one. For the Home version I believe it's $120 every 2 years which is $5 a months, quite a few people spend this on coffee every day, if you divide it by the number of days it's like 16.66 Cents a day and having the use of Jaws is certainly worth a couple of quarters every 3 days to me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:59 PM

Here is the link to the page that explains the changes/improvements in Jaws 2021 beta:

http://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS/JAWSPublicBeta

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 27, 2020, at 3:50 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

To add to what Dan said, the beta is free to try out and install and it works fine to have it installed plus your regular version, then you can experience the changes and see if it is worth it.

The reality is that let's say you decide it isn't worth it.

Next year, when you might decide that 2022 is worth it, you will end up paying for both as I understand it.

I'd be happy to be wrong.

This is where buying the SMA can save money in the long run.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 27, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...> wrote:

Hi,

Real improvements can be subjective.

Depends on how you use the program and with what different types of software.

For me I stay updated for the following reasons:

OS systems and programs are changing rapidly and with hnumerous updates.  Falling behind with JAWS can risk problems with the software interacting with the latest updates of apps and even the OS itself.

Each version of JAWS seems to get a bit snappier and responsive although , to be sure, problems remain and always will with any piece of software.

New features are constantly added and modified.  Each new version offers more accessibility with one or more programs.

I am not advocating that one must keep JAWS always with the latest version , cost and other issues prevent this, but I have found it helpful to do so.

As I said updates can be subjective because we all use the program in different ways and with diverse pieces of software.  JAWS 2021 does a better job with Outlook than past versions however if I don’t use Outlook I may say not much difference. 

Does this make all clear as mud.  😊

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:24 PM

Are there any real improvements in Jaws 2021 that will be worth the cost of updating?

On 10/27/2020 5:15 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:

Public beta 2 has been out now for about 3 weeks.  Either beta 3 or the final version should be within days.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:41 PM

Hi,

I’m running one of the jaws 2021 Vedas, and I’m not sure which one. I keep being told that my software is up-to-date. Have there been any new releases?

Thanks,

Jessica

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:13:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

That is what I am hearing as well.

I would guess in very early November.

Beta three is in private beta now and will be released publicly very soon.

Find out more on Wednesday evening on Main Menu Live as we have Eric Damery with us in hour 1 to talk about JAWS and its release.

Brian Hartgen will be with us in Hour 2 to talk about the many things available to us from Leasey.

Larry Gassman

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hank William Merchant
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 12:09 PM

Hello,

I gave them at Fredom Scientific a call yesterday to see if maybe I could find out and a sales person said that sometime in the 1st or 2nd week of next month November, we will be able to download the oficial release copy of Jaws2021. Hopefully this is when we will be able to at the latest!

Kindest regards,

jaws18 user Hank

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 2:31 PM

Subject: Re: JAWS2021

Yes, the exact minute FS announces it.

Sadly, these kinds of questions cannot be answered until the mother company says something.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Live long and prosper 🖖

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Summers via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:24 AM
To: JAWS <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: JAWS2021

Hi All,

Does anyone know when JAWS2021 is going to be released?

Andrew

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.