moderated Re: does a link leave a site?

Mike B

Brian,

Are you suggesting that it might be better for those of us that have no vision or low vision to use a mouse for invoking the right mouse click if we have a mouse available verses using the keystroke?  I always keep a mouse connected to my KVM switch just for general purposes, but I've never knew or thought to compare a right mouse clicks results to the pressing of the context menu keystrokes.

Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2020 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: does a link leave a site?

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:45 AM, Dan Longmore wrote:
The right mouse click has benefits over the key strokes
-
Amen to that, and for anyone when a laptop is in use.  It is so much more convenient to use a hard right click (or left click), avoiding emulation of any kind, and it's simple to do in laptop settings and even desktop settings if you have an optical mouse and tape over the laser port on the bottom that is responsible for actual mouse movement.  I have all my clients who are laptop users simply cover the mousepad area with a thin piece of cardboard so they can't activate it, but that can also be flipped open on those occasions where a sighted assistant is called in to help since most of them cannot function without a mouse or mouse pad.  When that's been done you still have full use of the left and right click buttons when needed, and within reach of your thumbs.

I have yet to find a screen reader that reliably, in all cases, has its left click emulation in particular work.  I have nothing against SHIFT+F10 or the Applications Key (very commonly called the menu or context menu key) when it's available.  But there are very distinct advantages to actual left and right click on many occasions.

And that's whether you're blind or sighted or somewhere in between.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss