moderated Re: A Question About JAWS Accessibility

Abraham Sweiss

Hello Lynn,

I use jaws with Citrix Virtual Desktop (VDI )  and Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP)  on a regular basis.

First thing that needs to be done is to contact VFO sales and purchase the remote desktop license.  What I am not sure of is if this license is available on the home edition or if the pro version of  jaws is required.  VFO sales will need to confirm.

Once the license is installed on your version of jaws (client)  then jaws will need to be installed on the  remote desktops.  The jaws version on the remote desktop does not need a license and is a free install. 

Once the client connects to the server, the clients  license will be used.  I mention this  so that when this topic is brought up to potential employers they will understand that this will not be an added cost on the server side.

jaws help has a list of the commands that are used for both VDI and RDP setups. 

However what I do for VDI is after I connect,  I use the key combination of control  plus shift plus F1.  This makes the VDI screen take over your desktop and now you can use the jaws commands you would normally use on your own desktop and not have to learn the new key combinations for VDI.

For RDP the key combination is control plus alt plus either insert or page up.  And use the same key combinations to get back to your own desktop.

One got-cha is sometimes the caps lock gets stuck and it can take several attempts or a reboot to get it to turn off.  VFO support has not been of any help to address this issue.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, Abraham            

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 12:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: A Question About JAWS Accessibility

Hi Lynn, 

I have successfully used JAWS with a virtual desktop.  JAWS needs to be installed on the virtual desktop as well as your "personal" desktop.   I cannot recall the keyboard commands to switch between desktops but it does work.  If you want to email me off list you can do that.

lee.atkinson@...

Best, Lee Anne

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lynne Moore
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 12:46 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: A Question About JAWS Accessibility

Hello everyone.  I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.  I am currently job hunting for transcription jobs I can do from home and some of them say that my computer needs to be able to run virtual desktop interface.  Does anyone know if that is accessible with JAWS?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Lynne Moore

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.