moderated Re: Using Cisco Packet Tracer with JAWS

Mario

being curious, I dug back and found the shortcuts. not only were there 5 but a whopping 59:

Cisco Packet Tracer version 5.2 includes keyboard shortcuts that make navigation and command activation more accessible. When Packet Tracer 5.2 is launched and the Tab key is pressed, components are selected in the following sequence:

1. The Select button

2. The top yellow tool bar

3. The workspace

4. The bottom yellow tool bar

5. The network component box (device types and device specific boxes)

Similarly when the device dialog is opened, a particular pattern is observed for Tab focus.

The following table lists all keyboard shortcuts available for Packet Tracer version 5.2:

Function: Keyboard Shortcut

New: Ctrl+N

Open: Ctrl+O

Open Samples: Ctrl+Shift+T

Save: Ctrl+S

Save As: Ctrl+Shift+S

Save As Pkz: Ctrl+Alt+Z

Print: Ctrl+P

Exit: Alt+F4

Copy: Ctrl+C

Paste: Ctrl+V

Undo: Ctrl+Z

Redo: Ctrl+Shift+Z

Preferences: Ctrl+R

User Profile: Ctrl+Shift+U

Algorithm Settings" Ctrl+Shift+M

Zoom In: Ctrl+I

Zoom Out: Ctrl+U

Zoom Reset: Ctrl+T

Main Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+A

Right Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+R

Bottom Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+B

Palette Dialog: Ctrl+D

Custom Devices Dialog: Ctrl+E

Activity Wizard: Ctrl+W

Multiuser->Listen: Ctrl+Alt+L

Multiuser->Port Visibility: Ctrl+Alt+P

Multiuser->Options: Ctrl+Alt+Y

Multiuser->Save Offline Copy As: Ctrl+Alt+G

IPC->Config Apps: Ctrl+Shift+C

IPC->Show Active Apps: Ctrl+Shift+Q

IPC->Options: Ctrl+Shift+J

IPC->Log: Ctrl+Shift+K

Help->Contents: F1

Help->Tutorials: F11

Help->About: F12

[Root]: Ctrl+F5

New Cluster: Shift+U

Move Object: Shift+M

Set Tiled Background: Shift+I

Viewport: Shift+V

Select Mode: Esc

Move Layout Mode: M

Place Note Mode: N

Delete Mode: Delete

Inspect Mode: I

Resize Mode: Alt+R

Add Simple PDU: P

Add Complex PDU: C

Power Cycle Devices: Alt+S

Simulation Mode: Shift+S

Realtime Mode: Shift+R

Physical Workspace: Shift+P

Logical Workspace: Shift+L

Show Router Devices: Ctrl+Alt+R

Show Switch Devices: Ctrl+Alt+S

Show Hub Devices: Ctrl+Alt+U

Show Wireless Devices: Ctrl+Alt+W

Show Connections: Ctrl+Alt+C

Show End Devices: Ctrl+Alt+E

Show WAN Emulation: Ctrl+Alt+A

Show Custom Devices: Ctrl+Alt+T

Show Multiuser Connection: Ctrl+Alt+M

Add Device to Workspace: Ctrl+Alt+(# of device)

Scenario Description: Ctrl+Shift+I

New Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+N

Delete Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+D

Toggle PDU List Window: Ctrl+Shift+O

Navigation Panel: Shift+N

Create New City: Shift+C

Create New Building: Shift+B

Create New Closet: Shift+W

Show Grid: Shift+G

Working Closet: Shift+H

Show Rubber Rectangle on Device in Workspace: Ctrl+Spacebar

Move Rubber Rectangle: Arrow Key (right, left, up, down)

Select Device inside rubber rectangle: Spacebar

Show Device Dialog for selected device: Enter or return key

Move Selected Device: Ctrl-+Arrow Key (right, left, up, down)

Copy Text in CLI Console/Cmd Prompt: Ctrl-+Insert

Paste Text in CLI Console/Cmd Prompt: Shift-+Insert

Simulation Mode -> Back: Alt + B

Simulation Mode -> AutoCapture/Play: Alt + P

Simulation Mode -> Capture/Forward: Alt + C

Simulation Mode -> Show Event List: Alt + I

Scenario Description: Ctrl+Shift+I

New Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+N

Delete Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+D

Toggle PDU List Window: Ctrl+Shift+O

Navigation Panel: Shift+N

Create New City: Shift+C

Create New Building: Shift+B

Create New Closet: Shift+W

Show Grid: Shift+G

Working Closet: Shift+H

it would be wise to look up what are the current shortcuts as it relates to the latest version of Packet Tracer.

From: Callum Stoneman via groups.io
[mailto:callum.stoneman=icloud.com@groups.io]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Friday, October 16, 2020, 9:27 AM
Hi all,
I have recently started a new job on an IT Networks team and am being
encouraged by my employer to take a Cisco CCNA qualification as it will
help massively with my future career in this field. I am interested in
doing this, but the problem is that much of the Cisco content relies
heavily on their Packet Tracer network simulation software.
When I first started at university around three years ago, our course
also used a lot of the CCNA content and we tried back then using Packet
Tracer with JAWS, but with no success. As soon as the program is
launched, JAWS says nothing. When pressing tab or the arrow keys,
nothing at all is spoken, not even "blank". Me and my tutors contacted
Cisco in the hope that they could help or recommend an alternative, but
they were less than helpful so we were left to find alternatives for
ourselves, which we did. I studied the CCNA content and got my degree,
but I'm not CCNA qualified on paper, plus the content changed at the
start of this year, so I am now studying it again for work.
Three years later, things are no better with the latest version of
Packet Tracer and JAWS 2020, and the alternative method I used at
university (using physical devices instead of virtual ones) is not
possible at work especially in the current situation. I have contacted
Cisco again and this time they seem a little more helpful. They claim
that they have tested Packet Tracer with JAWS 2020 and, in their words,
"it works, but with some gaps" and they seem completely stuck for
answers as to why it doesn't work with JAWS at all on my machine, but it
does for them. They of course tried blaming the user at first, "Is your
speech set to mute? Is your volume set to an audible level?" etc etc. It
would be wrong for me to say that I'm a JAWS expert, but I'm certainly
not a beginner. I have used JAWS for many years and am very familiar
with it, but nothing I try makes any improvement with Packet Tracer.
The person who I have been in touch with from Cisco's accessibility team
has now put me in touch with one of the Packet Tracer developers and I'm
currently trying to arrange a call with them in the hope that we can
figure this out, however I would like to know if I'm missing something
with this.
Has anyone else had experience with Packet Tracer? If you have got it to
work, any tips/workarounds would be hugely appreciated. Equally, if you
have tried it out recently and have found it to be inaccessible, I would
like to know so that I can provide as much detail as possible if/when I
speak to Cisco.
Many thanks in advance for any help and comments.
Callum

.