moderated Re: Protected files in MS word

Ann Byrne

To turn off protected view in Word or Excel:

1. Press alt-f for the files menu and backstage view.
2. Press the letter 't' for options. This displays a list of categories with settings you can tab to.
3. Arrow to the final category, which is trust center.
4. Tab to trust center settings dot dot dot and press enter. Here is yet another list of categories with a gridful of options.
5. Arrow through the categories to protected view. there are three checkboxes. Choose your preferences and tab to OK. You are still in the grid and have to do another OK.

At 05:31 PM 10/14/2020, you wrote:

When I open them, I hit f6 and tab to enable editing and it works.

Then I can do a save as.

Microsoft is trying to be helpful and keep us from unwittingly opening a file with a virus macro so it defaults to putting attachments in protected view.

I find it is not hard to work with them and there may be a setting buried somewhere that would let you remove that protection from happening.

I never open an attachment unless I am 100% sure it is from someone I know and that I was expecting it.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert