moderated Re: Protected files in MS word

Richard Turner

Thank you Mr. Vogel.

I have a very nit-picky request.

Since your link did not say it was to a word document, I clicked on it thinking it would take me to a web site.

Since I know you are trustworthy, I opened the file and enable editing.

Please state when a link is to a file rather than a web resource.

Or, what I and others might prefer is to just paste the contents into the body of the message.

Like I say, I know that is being a bit nit-picky, but there you have it.

Thanks for the directions, they are very helpful.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Protected files in MS word

Adjusting Protected View Settings in MS-Office Programs

I am like Mr. Turner in that I only open any MS-Office file format if I have every reason to believe it is safe to do so.  Anything downloaded, whether via e-mail or otherwise, is scanned by Windows Security before I can ever touch it.

I agree that Microsoft is trying to  be helpful, but for me, personally, it's overkill.  If one is circumspect about what one opens, and the sources from which one will open something, you are very unlikely to have an issue.  If you're someone who does not wish to do this, then keep protected mode on, as it could save a world of hurt.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.