moderated Re: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

Van Lant, Robin

Richard,

I think I borrowed the “compact” terminology from the iphone.  The Nathan I am using is the basic one that comes installed with JAWS Vocalizer.  I tried, but did not like the Nathan Premium, so it’s not that one.   I’m going to be out of pocket for a few day, but can test more with my personal laptop later. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 10:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

🍷

Hi,

How do you get the compact voices?

I installed Nathan Premium and yes, the emoji panel reads fine but when I selected the above Wine glass and read that line it says “12.”

It will say more after I send this.

When I went to add voices, I did not find an option for compact.  I’d like to compare Apple to Apples, granted, since I am on the beta, it is more like comparing Red delicious with Fuji apples.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 8:18 AM

🤣

💕

Using Outlook 365 and Windows 10. I Just inserted the above to emojis from the Windows emoji panel and Nathan Compact in JAWS 2020 February or March release,  announced them correctly, both on the panel and after inserting.  As I  write this message, the top one says “rolling on the floor laughing” and the second says “two hearts”.  I’m not on JAWS 2021 yet, so I wonder if that is an issue with the new version. 

Robin

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 2:36 PM

But, after you select the emoji, before you send the message, what does it say with the Vocalizer voice.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 13, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

I’m on Vocalizer Nathan Compact and JAWS 2020 and the emogi panel seems to read fine, for what it’s worth.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 12:12 PM

Hi,

I assume that this is not the case with other synthesizers such as Eloquence and Windows OneCore (OneCore voices are best ones to use when dealing with emojis). If I’m correct, it is something to ask Nuance through Vispero.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:10 AM

Thanks Joseph,

Very interesting.

I tried SAPI 5 and Eloquence and they read the emoji just fine.

I went back to my default of Tom enhanced from Vocalizer and it read it when I re-read a sent message.

Then, I just added one here and it just says 12.

🍸

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:59 AM

Hi,

This is a synthesizer issue, and unless JAWS is told to process certain Unicode symbols directly and send them to synths, it won’t be able to read emojis and some Unicode symbols correctly.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:37 AM
Subject: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

I find I have to use Narrator to arrow through the emoji panel, and after picking one, Narrator reads the emoji just fine.

Jaws 2021 reads a number.

I sent a note to a friend who has a great job at a place where it is not uncommon for the office to go out for a drink at 3 PM to end the day.  So I used the whiskey glass emoji.  Narrator reads it accurately.  Jaws 2021 says “twelve.”

Any thoughts about how Jaws can be made to speak the emoji?

Richard

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.