moderated Re: narrated power points and JAWS

Van Lant, Robin

My company does something very similar for many of it’s courses.  I’ve had a conversation with the training team to note that the slides need to be made accessible and they have done some improvements in labelling buttons for the  buttons that advance the slides and some of the interactive elements.  There are still challenges with some o the things I’m supposed to complete on a slide. 

Now, to help you potentially, since you have an immediate need.  You can try to use control end to work you way from the end of the slide backwards to see if any elements might be a button to advance the slide.  Also try using Insert F5 or Insert f7 and even Insert Z to turn on Quick keys to see if that makes anything more visible

I had one required class that was ridiculously inaccessible. I ended up having an administrative assistant sit at my desk and drive the mouse to click on the buttons.  While you probably don’t hae that option, maybe you could do a web-conference with someone who could click the buttons for you or tell you where to move your pointer to. 

If the above ideas don’t work, I’d advise you try AIRA or Be My Eyes, if you have a smart phone to do this. I did this for one course where I couldn’t’ find the button to advance the slide.  This may still not work well, since the button could move on each slide, but it could work.  Be My Eyes is free.  AIRA offers 5 mins per day for free and also has a agreement with Freedom Scientifi, so that might get you some free time.  If you need additional time, you might request reimbursement as an accommodation from your company, since the online class is not accessible a this time.

You need to let them know that the course designers need to better label the element’s on the PowerPoint.  I empathise with you. Our online learning system is awkward and it takes me longer to get things done as I bumble around. 

If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. 

Robin Van Lant

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 7:39 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: narrated power points and JAWS

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 2020, and my new university employer is requiring that I complete training modules in a couple of different areas. The on line modules were created by the e-learning branch of our institution, and they seem to use narrated power points a lot. I am sure it is possible that I am missing something, but I have tried to access these multiple times and can’t get beyond the introductory slide. The screen just seems to be blank. I used Chrome since tis is what they recommended, but I have tried others using other browsers.

Is there a way to move through these, or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Cynthia

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.