moderated Re: narrated power points and JAWS

Van Lant, Robin

My company does something very similar for many of it’s courses.  I’ve had a conversation with the training team to note that the slides need to be made accessible and they have done some improvements in labelling buttons for the  buttons that advance the slides and some of the interactive elements.  There are still challenges with some o the things I’m supposed to complete on a slide.

Now, to help you potentially, since you have an immediate need.  You can try to use control end to work you way from the end of the slide backwards to see if any elements might be a button to advance the slide.  Also try using Insert F5 or Insert f7 and even Insert Z to turn on Quick keys to see if that makes anything more visible

I had one required class that was ridiculously inaccessible. I ended up having an administrative assistant sit at my desk and drive the mouse to click on the buttons.  While you probably don’t hae that option, maybe you could do a web-conference with someone who could click the buttons for you or tell you where to move your pointer to.

If the above ideas don’t work, I’d advise you try AIRA or Be My Eyes, if you have a smart phone to do this. I did this for one course where I couldn’t’ find the button to advance the slide.  This may still not work well, since the button could move on each slide, but it could work.  Be My Eyes is free.  AIRA offers 5 mins per day for free and also has a agreement with Freedom Scientifi, so that might get you some free time.  If you need additional time, you might request reimbursement as an accommodation from your company, since the online class is not accessible a this time.

You need to let them know that the course designers need to better label the element’s on the PowerPoint.  I empathise with you. Our online learning system is awkward and it takes me longer to get things done as I bumble around.

If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know.

Robin Van Lant