From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2020 9:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

At 12:28 PM 10/3/2020, Mike B wrote:
>To my knowledge, which isn't much, when playing music or system sounds they >have to come through the computers internal default sound card. I've never >been able to figure out how to make music and system sounds use the external >sound card so Jaws could be the only thing using the default internal >sound card. If someone can tell us how to do this I would be eternally >grateful as well.

Windows allows any registered device to play any application's audio, with the exception of system sounds, which are always mapped to the default audio device. So, if your media player shows up in the sound mixer applet or the old SNDVol control, you can have it play through any device you have. You can even have different media players or web browsers play through different audio devices from the default.

Thank God, your question has a simple answer. Speaking of Yeti, I have a Blue Yeti stereo USB microphone that sounds fantastic and has four polarity patterns. However, one of the "features" that probably seemed like a good idea to the Yeti's developers is proving to be a throbbing headache for me. The Yeti has a stereo eighth-inch headphone jack intended to allow users to monitor their mic output without intermediary devices. The problem is that this headphone output shows up in Windows as a Yeti speaker, which is, of course, a phantom silent device. Disabling it in its properties is the only way to keep it from appearing. Uninstalling it via the Device Manager only lasts until plug&play picks it up during the next reboot.
Most annoying of all, Windows defaults to this phantom Yeti device

during installations, in the advanced boot menu and safe mode. I've combed the registry for references to it. Why this phantom device would end up being the pre-Windows default boggles my mind, and there's apparently nothing I can do to make Windows use my USB audio device or the motherboard's sound card to run narrator before Windows proper loads.
My only workaround is to unplug the Yeti from its USB port whenever I know I'll be using Narrator before Windows loads with my actual sound configuration.
Riddle me all this, my fellow blind geniuses!
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina