moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

JM Casey

I hear that. I’m not one of those people but if I’m using eloquence I still set the rate at about 50%, which is too fast for most non-screen-reader users to understand. I probably won’t go faster as I have some hearing issues…everything always sounds loud enough but deciphering fast speech, certain types of accents, or having conversations in a crowded place where everyone is talking can be difficult for me – and many go way faster than I do when it comes to their speech output. I use braille most of the time now and only turn on speech once in a while.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: September 21, 2020 6:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 06:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

These more human sounding voices were not meant to be used at the fast rates many blind people listen to synthesised speech.

-
And knowing some of those blind people, I still cannot comprehend how they comprehend what they're hearing.  Clearly they do, but my head (auditory processing, in particular) reels at the speech rate that some of my clients routinely use for themselves.  I have on more than one occasion had to ask someone I was tutoring on something new to them in the screen reader to greatly reduce the speed so that I could be sure that what I expected to hear was what I was indeed hearing!

       ~ Lawrence Krauss