moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

JM Casey

I know that the Daniel UK voice is created from the “blueprints” of an actor’s voice..Jonathan somethingorother (can’t recall).

For a good time, try the Kate (UK) voice and write out “Hey! How’s it going?” or something liket aht

She sounds so enthusiastic she squeaks…

You  have to get the exclamation mark in there after a single preparatory word though.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: September 22, 2020 1:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

Some of the voices recorded by humans, sound a little off too.  One of the female U S voices sounds like she is having a bad day all the time and needs to chill out as they say.  I guess it all comes down to what you prefer. I heard an interview of the woman who does the Australian voice, Karen and she went into great detail as to what was involved in creating that screen reader voice for JAWS or IOS devices. The voice got named after her real name, Karen.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pastor Gil Pries
Sent: September 21, 2020 3:44 PM

Eliquence sounds like it has a cold sometimes.

Pastor Gil

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 3:32 PM

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 06:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

These more human sounding voices were not meant to be used at the fast rates many blind people listen to synthesised speech.

-
And knowing some of those blind people, I still cannot comprehend how they comprehend what they're hearing.  Clearly they do, but my head (auditory processing, in particular) reels at the speech rate that some of my clients routinely use for themselves.  I have on more than one occasion had to ask someone I was tutoring on something new to them in the screen reader to greatly reduce the speed so that I could be sure that what I expected to hear was what I was indeed hearing!

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.