moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

Eliquence sounds like it has a cold sometimes.

Pastor Gil

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 3:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 06:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

These more human sounding voices were not meant to be used at the fast rates many blind people listen to synthesised speech.

-
And knowing some of those blind people, I still cannot comprehend how they comprehend what they're hearing.  Clearly they do, but my head (auditory processing, in particular) reels at the speech rate that some of my clients routinely use for themselves.  I have on more than one occasion had to ask someone I was tutoring on something new to them in the screen reader to greatly reduce the speed so that I could be sure that what I expected to hear was what I was indeed hearing!

       ~ Lawrence Krauss