moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

Glenn / Lenny

I'm in the U.S. and I've never even heard that used before.
I live in the mid-west.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

Hahah…it’s all relative; Canadians don’t say “aboot” either.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: September 21, 2020 5:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Sorry, but people in the United states do not say “aboot” unless they happen to live very close to the Canadian border.

I’m not sure why that is, but the vast majority of people here in the U.S. say about, not aboot.

IN fact, most U.S. natives make fun of the Canadians for saying aboot.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 1:14 PM

I was chatting with someone from New Zealand and she told me some of her compatriots were mimicking the  U S accent. Thus it is not just the screen reader voices, it is Different nations voices.  Example, apparently Canadians and United States persons say aboot instead of about, according to the woman in N Z.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: September 21, 2020 9:26 AM

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:20 PM, JM Casey wrote:

and this "uncanny valley" aspect is probably already nonexistent for some people.

-
I'd be one of those people, at least for certain voices under certain synthesizers.

It also really depends on just precisely what is being said.  There are voices that, to me, are "virtual perfection" in mimicking human speech until you get to one specific word that's seldom used or an inflection.  But even then, what sounds "normal" to me may very well sound "weird" to someone else.  One experiences that sensation quite often when listening to different human speakers.  (And I'm ignoring "as a second language" issues and regional accents for that sensation.)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.