moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

David Diamond

These more human sounding voices were not meant to be used at the fast rates many blind people listen to synthesised speech.  This was the exact reason why some blind persons, not me, prefer eloquence over the more human sounding voices.  Myself, listening to sped up speech via eloquence then  a person talking to me, as in a family member, is like the equivalent of going 50 miles per hour then slamming on the brake and going in reverse.  Sorry if that does not make sense.  I equate it to brain whiplash.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: September 21, 2020 3:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 06:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

These more human sounding voices were not meant to be used at the fast rates many blind people listen to synthesised speech.

-
And knowing some of those blind people, I still cannot comprehend how they comprehend what they're hearing.  Clearly they do, but my head (auditory processing, in particular) reels at the speech rate that some of my clients routinely use for themselves.  I have on more than one occasion had to ask someone I was tutoring on something new to them in the screen reader to greatly reduce the speed so that I could be sure that what I expected to hear was what I was indeed hearing!

       ~ Lawrence Krauss