moderated Re: synthesizer versus voice

David Diamond

I was chatting with someone from New Zealand and she told me some of her compatriots were mimicking the  U S accent. Thus it is not just the screen reader voices, it is Different nations voices.  Example, apparently Canadians and United States persons say aboot instead of about, according to the woman in N Z.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: September 21, 2020 9:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: synthesizer versus voice

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:20 PM, JM Casey wrote:

and this "uncanny valley" aspect is probably already nonexistent for some people.

-
I'd be one of those people, at least for certain voices under certain synthesizers.

It also really depends on just precisely what is being said.  There are voices that, to me, are "virtual perfection" in mimicking human speech until you get to one specific word that's seldom used or an inflection.  But even then, what sounds "normal" to me may very well sound "weird" to someone else.  One experiences that sensation quite often when listening to different human speakers.  (And I'm ignoring "as a second language" issues and regional accents for that sensation.)

       ~ Lawrence Krauss