moderated Re: Is there a way to not have Vocalizer substitute what it thinks works for abbreviations?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 04:05 AM, John Covici wrote:
so how do I turn them off in Vocalizer
-
You don't, in all likelihood.  That's what the dictionaries are about.  If you know that you have certain abbreviations that the synth is expanding, then have the screen reader capture those and substitute what it is you want to hear.

I had to set up JAWS (and I can't remember the synth at the moment) to substitute "Cup" for "cup" when I was working with recipes because when it saw a digit or string of digits followed by cup it would say "cuban pesos."  This wasn't JAWS, it was the synth.  And for some reason the word cup with a capital C always came out as the word cup.

If you want, say, the abbreviation for boulevard to be said as B L V D then add an entry for the abbreviation and substitute B L V D for it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss