moderated Re: Is there a way to not have Vocalizer substitute what it thinks works for abbreviations?

Richard Turner

On Wed, Sep 16 Brian Vogel said:

           That is the way.   There is no default that is going to please everyone.  And there are circumstances, like the abbreviation ess tee, that it would require artificial intelligence to know whether it was saint or street, and heaven forbid you had something like 125 St. Peter St.  (One twenty five saint peter street).

            For myself, it would drive me mad to have every conventional abbreviation such as for street, lane, avenue, boulevard, or symbols such as the dollar sign when used with numbers, announced as the character itself.   There are some logical leaps that make abundant sense in practice.  And if you're not happy with what a given synth chooses to do, it is a simple matter to add an exception in the screen reader's appropriate dictionary to suit the circumstance.

A simple matter unless the synth overrides the exception, then you are stuck.

If a synth left things alone, you could simply add an exception to the dictionary to force s t to be street and be happy as a clam living on street john street.

Richard

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 06:44 AM, David Goldfield wrote:

Other than adding dictionary exceptions I know of no way to disable these exceptions and there really should be a way.

-
David,

           That is the way.   There is no default that is going to please everyone.  And there are circumstances, like the abbreviation ess tee, that it would require artificial intelligence to know whether it was saint or street, and heaven forbid you had something like 125 St. Peter St.  (One twenty five saint peter street).

            For myself, it would drive me mad to have every conventional abbreviation such as for street, lane, avenue, boulevard, or symbols such as the dollar sign when used with numbers, announced as the character itself.   There are some logical leaps that make abundant sense in practice.  And if you're not happy with what a given synth chooses to do, it is a simple matter to add an exception in the screen reader's appropriate dictionary to suit the circumstance.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss