moderated Re: a strange issue with my windows ten computer.

I'm with Richard.  I suspect overheating, particularly if the machine has never had a "dust blow out" cleaning.

If you are using it in a household with cats/dogs or frequently on your lap, with something like a fuzzy robe on during the winter months, it will over time pick up lint, hair, and dust, all of which collects over time.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss