From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of Richard Holloway
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:50 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Learning Jaws and the Keyboard

Thanks Chris,

My daughter has used several of the different programs. The only one she has
really taken to is Talking Typing Teacher. Unfortunately has proven to be a
little unstable on her computer, and we haven't had the best luck with tech
support for the program.

Yes, she's using an cranmer abacus. I agree entirely-- important to know.
Math is a challenge for her. She's a very good student but she has to work
so hard to be successful with her math as opposed to other subjects. The
abacus overall seems most useful. Math window is also very helpful to learn
certain concepts, but terribly slow for use on many problems in a row. Some
processes also need to be demonstrated on a brailler as well, which seems
such an incredible hassle to work with for math problems.

I'll give another look towards Typeability. The CakeTalking software looks
interesting as well. Appears to be JAWS friendly too. Is that the audio
piece you are using? I'd love to find an accessible multitrack program she
can use, though I don't know what sort of interface that program will work
with either. I'll have to read up on it. I generally have to do all the
button-pushing for her when she wants to do much in the multi-track realm.
She's quite recording savvy. (I'm a recording engineer, so I'll take a bit
of credit for that!) My first choice is usually Pro Tools on a Mac (if not
conventional consoles and old analog recording gear), but I'm not aware of
any reasonable adaptation of that package at all.

Thanks again,

Richard

On Mar 6, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Hi.

I'm glad you are kean to see your child learn to type on a qwerty
keyboard. :)

I didn't learn to tyep on a modified keyboard. in fact, this was back in
the 1980's when electric typewriters were common and manuals were still
around. Lucky for me, my mom was a secretary at one time in her life, so she
knew how to type properly.

Most computer keyboards have tactile markers on the F and J keys on the
home ro already, where your index fingers should rest. I guess if you need
more tactile marking you could simply add braille labels to a standard
keyboard.

The process is about the same today as it was then. learn the home row and
gradually add more letters, punctuation etc.

Use the propper fingers on the keys. It helps if whoever is teaching
actually types properly as well! that is, no hunting and pecking,
two-fingered looking at the keys typing, but propper touch typing without
looking at the keys!

Typing to produce things in print for school, letters to my relatives,
playing computer games, and other such activities meant that I was typing a
lot, learned fast, and was typing at a good 70 words a minute by the time I
entered high school. That's considerably faster than I've seen anybody go
on a perkins style keyboard. The more you use your new skill to actually
accomplish things, the faster it should come.

Learning that way also gave me a basic grasp of how sighted people like to
see things laid out on the page. what margins were, centering... important
spacial concepts.

I'm not saying go find an old typewriter and learn how I did. There
must be some sort of accessible typing tutor software available. :)

Ah, Google just gave me this:
http://www.yesaccessible.com/

That looks like exactly what you need, Typeability 4.0.

I use their other product in my music work, so I can vouch for the
excellent quality of David Pinto's scripts and documentation!

Chris

P.S. I hope your child is also using an abacus to learn basic math, to
really get the basic principles ingrained early.
http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt