From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim
Portillo
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 6:44 PM
To: Jim Portillo
Subject: Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Greetings,

I'll attempt to explain my issue.
I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a
specific book and workbook. I contacted the publisher, and he said that
although he didn't make the book available to people electronically, he
would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible
logistics. He has the original files used to print the books, and they are
PDFs.
These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or
change them. I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying
or printing.
I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must
not
have had some screen reader settings turned on. I went ahead and set them
up and tried rereading the book. Once it was done processing and I tried
reading it, I just kept hearing "blank" whenever I scrolled down. I had an
AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of
text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn't reading them.
I tried doing a JAWS convenient OCR command, but when I tried putting in
the
password, it didn't like it.
I already paid for these files, so I can't very well return or ask for my
money back. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's
something else I can try to get these two books to read.
I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a
Word
file, but I guess I'll need the second password for that. I didn't think I
would.
Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe? I remember having a similar
problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn't locked. I still
couldn't get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most
of it.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.
Thanks much.
Jim