moderated Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Jim Portillo

Greetings,

I’ll attempt to explain my issue.

I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a specific book and workbook.  I contacted the publisher, and he said that although he didn’t make the book available to people electronically, he would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible logistics.  He has the original files used to print the books, and they are PDFs.

These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or change them.  I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying or printing.

I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must not have had some screen reader settings turned on.  I went ahead and set them up and tried rereading the book.  Once it was done processing and I tried reading it, I just kept hearing “blank” whenever I scrolled down.  I had an AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn’t reading them.

I tried doing a JAWS convenient OCR command, but when I tried putting in the password, it didn’t like it.

I already paid for these files, so I can’t very well return or ask for my money back.  I’m just wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something else I can try to get these two books to read.

I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a Word file, but I guess I’ll need the second password for that.  I didn’t think I would.

Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe?  I remember having a similar problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn’t locked.  I still couldn’t get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most of it.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d appreciate them.

Thanks much.

Jim