From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 8:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Zoom and sharing computer sound

Hi, Shai.

>I am trying to share computer sound in Zoom so that I can play some >audio to meeting attendees.
>I have a USB headset/microphone and I was told that the way to >accomplish the task at hand is to change the sound card in JAWS to the >headset and change the sound in the Zoom audio settings to speakers >but even when I did this, from the audio settings menu in the Zoom >meeting I had, the JAWS sound still came through.

You might try using the Windows sound mixer app and making sure that JAWS is routed to your headset output. Just search the start menu for "mixer" and you'll find it. Alternately, you can type "sounds" and press enter on Sounds, System Settings. From there, tab to App Volume and Device Preferences. That will bring you to the exact same dialogue as the Sound Mixer options. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

>I also tried changing to the internal system microphone in audio >settings, but this still did not resolve the issue.

First of all, if you're sharing audio, you're using the speakers rather than the microphone. Zoom doesn't really clarify this, but when you share audio, you're streaming content that each participant hears on their chosen audio device.
JAWS can't be routed to a microphone input, unless you have an inexplicable situation like I do with my Blue Yeti stereo USB microphone. Because it has a headphone output for monitoring the mic's sound right from the mic itself, the mic appears as both a microphone and speaker. This wouldn't be so bad if Windows didn't insist on using this phantom speaker as an audio device. Of course, since nothing is connecting this headphone output to any speaker, it's silent.

>How do I go about ensuring that JAWS sound is not heard when I go to >share computer sound?
>I know that I can also turn off JAWS speech, but I would rather try >to find a solution that does not have me doing this step.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018 Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue Charlotte, North Carolina
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090