moderated Re: Using icloud.com

John Covici

I think that the safe mode feature did a registry hack to get the
sound driver into safe mode, so maybe you could find that hack and and
maybe Jaws would work in safe mode after all.

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 10:05:45 -0400,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (base64)>]
Sadly, they never followed through with incorporating those features. The Safe Mode speech with Window-Eyes worked quite well.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 6:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Using icloud.com

And exactly which wonderful features of Window Eyes have been incorporated into JAWS? For instance, Window Eyes allegedly had a feature that provided speech when booting into safe mode. If this feature actually worked, which isdebatable, then why hasn't it been incorporated into JAWS?

Gerald

On 9/10/2020 9:44 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
Actually, Freedom Scientific was after Window-eyes for years even filing a frivolous law suit over place markers.
Window-eyes merged with AI Squared, the makers of zoomText, and then The conglomerate that owned Freedom Scientific bought AI Squared and told the Window-eyes staff/AI Squared that they would continue to be developed as part of the umbrella group which became Vespiro.
It did not take long before instead of following through with that, they pulled the plug on Window-eyes.
I know, personally, some of the people, and they ended up having to give some severance packages to people formerly of Window-Eyes/AI Squared.
They did dump their own Magic program in favor of ZoomText which is now part of the Fusion program.
I use Jaws because it is still better than NVDA or Narrator and because they killed Window-Eyes so I have little choice.
But, before I get kicked off this list for speaking the truth about the 800 pound gorilla in the room, I’ll shut up about this.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io><mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 6:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

Sorry I saw the comment about Freedom Scientific pushing Windows-eyes out of the market. But wanted to point out that Freedom and the vendor of Window-eyes murged. Which is kind of like saying Freedom purchased the Window-eyes vendor. Anyways, its expensive to run 2 development groups and so after a year or so Freedom stop development on Window-eyes, but many of the ideas in Window-eyes are being incorporated into Jaws.

Not to mention a lot of the developers who use to work on Window-eyes are now working on Jaws.

Have a good day everyone.

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Richard Turner via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 7:26 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I was primarily a Window-Eyes user before this happened, the program name was Window-Eyes, which is the word Window then a hyphen and then the word Eyes.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 6:20 AM

It has a lot to do with them wanting you to use their products on their platforms. It’s sad but it’s across-the-board kind of the same way that Freedom Scientific pushed window wise out of the market.

On Sep 9, 2020, at 11:47 PM, Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...<mailto:blindmansbluff09@...>> wrote:
Yes, but for us Windows users it is not much fun at all. I can't understand why Apple does such an awesome job on the iPhone has such a crappy job on iCloud and iTunes for windows…
Randy Barnett

On Sep 9, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Jim Weiss via groups.io <jimweiss72=icloud.com@groups.io<mailto:jimweiss72=icloud.com@groups.io>> wrote:
Yes, I use it all the time. I will say I am a Mac user, and I use Safari.

On Sep 9, 2020, at 3:15 PM, kevin meyers <kman2020@...<mailto:kman2020@...>> wrote:

Hello,
Has anyone used icloud.com? To me it doesn’t seem to friendly. I know it has pictures and videos from my IPhone. I just cannot access them.
Thanks,
Kevin

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (base64)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.