moderated Re: Help - trouble with my new installation of JAWS 2020

Cohn, Jonathan

It sounds sounds like your computer is using the function keys as media keys. Several vendors do this. There should be a way in the BIOS or vendor settings to turn these keys back into function keys. The short term solution is you might be able to use the Fn key which is usually between the control and option keys on Windows computers to force the function keys to behave as function keys.

I have no idea what is going on for you with Outlook.  it a current version of Outlook?
Quick settings should save your parameters, unless you set a option to revert settings but when you do that for a setting it usually reminds you of this if you are in beginner verbosity  mode

On Sep 4, 2020, at 3:14 PM, Cynthia Bruce <cynthia.bruce@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I will start by begging your patience as I try to sort out a new Dell laptop and an upgrade from JAWS 17 to JAWS 2020. I will start with a couple of things so far, and I am sure there will be more.

  1. JAWS isn’t reading the emails in my inbox – Outlook. It only tells me if and when I have replied, and it tells me if it was sent with high importance.
  2. The function keys don’t seem to be doing anything, although F2 and F3 seem to be controlling the volume. Similarly, insert + the function keys don’t seem to do anything like bring up a list of running windows etc.
  3. I keep going into JAWS quick settings and making changes that it doesn’t seem to be saving.
Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cynthia