moderated Re: Help - trouble with my new installation of JAWS 2020

Mike B

Hi Cynthia,

Below are a couple of notes on how to make your function keys work the way you're used to using them.

From: valiant8086
Hi.

For a Lenovo Try holding down the, FN key,  then you press escape. That might do it.

If this is a Lenovo, you can enable the function keys as default using the Lenovo Vantage app. If you don't have that app it should be available in the
Microsoft store.

If this is a dell, you should be able to toggle it in Mobility Center, press windows+x, then b to open it. Then tab around searching for a combo box that
will let you set the mode of your function keys.

If this is a Microsoft Surface, you may be able to toggle it by double pressing the fn key.

Most of these machines do permit forcing the setting within the system BIOS, but you most likely would need sighted assistance for that, as the BIOS is
separate from Windows, and, as such, there is no speech provided by any screen reader. Often, the temporary toggle is just that, temporary. The suggestions
FN+Escape, Double FN, etc may not stick across reboots. The Lenovo keystroke may not stick either, but forcing it from Lenovo Vantage does stick, as does
changing it in the system BIOS.

Valiant

Below are steps on how to enable or disable the function keys.  Use step number 2 Via the Mobility Center, and I couldn't get my wife's to type numbers
when holding the FN key, but that doesn't mean it won't work on other Dell laptops, I don't know.  I checked these steps on my wife's Dell 7000 laptop
Windows 10 Home computer to make sure of their accuracy.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-function-key-behavior-windows-laptops

Change Function key behavior in Dell laptops

One thing I did not like about my Dell Inspiron 15 7537
 Windows 8.1 laptop keyboard was the behavior of the Function and Multimedia keys – that is, the top most row in the keyboard. On my earlier Dell XPS,
I was used to pressing the key to activate the Function keys like F1, F2, etc, and to press Fn key + the F1, F2 key to activate the multimedia operations
like Speaker on or off, Search, etc.

Swap or change Function key behavior in Windows laptops

I wanted to change this behavior; ie. I wanted to interchange, swap or inverse keyboard Function and Multi-media keys back to the one I was used to, and
here are two ways you can do it.

#1: Via BIOS

function-key-behavior-bios

Restart your Windows computer and when it starts booting, press the F2 key to enter the BIOS settings.

Press the Advanced tab and double-click on Function key behavior. Change the setting from Multimedia key to Function key.

Read:
Dell XPS 12 9250 review.

Entering the BIOS and changing BIOS settings is normally not advisable – especially if you are not used to it. I therefore recommend you follow this second
method.

#2: Via Windows Mobility Center

Change the Function key behavior using the Windows Mobility Center.

To open the Windows Mobility Center, press WinKey+X to open the WinX Menu and select Mobility Center. Alternatively, open the, Run dialogue box, Windows
key + R, type,
mblctr
 and hit Enter.
Goes without saying that you can also access it via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Windows Mobility Center > Adjust commonly used mobility settings.

Change Function key behavior

Tab to, Change Function Key behavior, current status is Function key Row button, now tab 1 time to the, Function key row combobox, from the drop-down menu,
arrow up / down to select Function key instead of Multimedia key.  Press enter on your selection and Alt + F4 to close.

In this way, you will be able to interchange, swap or inverse keyboard Function and Multi-media keys on Dell laptops.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2020 12:14 PM
Subject: Help - trouble with my new installation of JAWS 2020

Hi All,

I will start by begging your patience as I try to sort out a new Dell laptop and an upgrade from JAWS 17 to JAWS 2020. I will start with a couple of things so far, and I am sure there will be more.

  1. JAWS isn’t reading the emails in my inbox – Outlook. It only tells me if and when I have replied, and it tells me if it was sent with high importance.
  2. The function keys don’t seem to be doing anything, although F2 and F3 seem to be controlling the volume. Similarly, insert + the function keys don’t seem to do anything like bring up a list of running windows etc.
  3. I keep going into JAWS quick settings and making changes that it doesn’t seem to be saving.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cynthia