moderated Re: Help - trouble with my new installation of JAWS 2020

Chris Hill

I can help on your function key issue, perhaps.  The machine likely came from the factory with the function keys set to media key mode.  Just to the left of the windows key may be an fn key, on my dell, holding that down and hitting escape will switch the function keys to function key mode.  Also watch out, f1 in media key mode may be mute, or if you are in function key mode- fn +f one may cause that to happen.

CH

On 9/4/2020 14:14, Cynthia Bruce wrote:

Hi All,

I will start by begging your patience as I try to sort out a new Dell laptop and an upgrade from JAWS 17 to JAWS 2020. I will start with a couple of things so far, and I am sure there will be more.

  1. JAWS isn’t reading the emails in my inbox – Outlook. It only tells me if and when I have replied, and it tells me if it was sent with high importance.
  2. The function keys don’t seem to be doing anything, although F2 and F3 seem to be controlling the volume. Similarly, insert + the function keys don’t seem to do anything like bring up a list of running windows etc.
  3. I keep going into JAWS quick settings and making changes that it doesn’t seem to be saving.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cynthia