moderated Re: JAWS 2020 August Release: Frequent Crashes With Firefox 80

JM Casey

If one thing can be said for the complexity of the modern computing environment experience, it’s that no experiences appear to be universal – running Firefox 80 and happy to report not a single crash yet. I do still use Chrome also and like it for some things, but Firefox is still my first choice. Usually either one of them will do the trick. I appreciate Chrome for speed and how nicely it works with, for instance, youtube (not surprising as that’s also a google product).

There was a problem with version 78 or so I believe, but Mozilla does seem to be pretty quick to fix issues on their end when they emerge.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: August 31, 2020 5:59 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2020 August Release: Frequent Crashes With Firefox 80

 Yes, there is a work around.  It's called Google Chrome.  To be perfectly blunt, I don't understand why anyone still bothers with Firefox.  It is a screwed up mess, constantly crashes, and seems to become less accessible with each successive release.  And most blind-friendly extensions like Webvisum and Navigational Sounds no longer work.  Mozilla betrayed its blind users by promising a new era in accessibility when they hired one of the developers of NVDA four years ago, but this has not materialized.  Whatever happened to this guy?  Is he still with Mozilla?  Or did he get laid off along with 250 other employees?

Gerald

On 8/31/2020 4:48 PM, David Goldfield wrote:

Using Win10 version 1909, JAWS 2020 for August and Firefox 80.

Recently someone else on this list reported crashes with Mozilla Firefox. At the time I didn't know what to think about the problem but I am now encountering this and I noticed it after Firefox updated to version 80. After a short period of time of just navigating through a Web page Firefox reports that the tab has crashed and presents me with a button to restore the tab. These crashes are rather frequent. I only have one extension running which is for Cisco Webex and I have disabled this extension to see if this makes a difference. I'm not entirely sure it's just a JAWS issue as I encountered this crash when testing with NVDA although I so far haven't tried Firefox 80 with NVDA long enough to determine if the crashing is happening as frequently. Have others noticed this and is there a workaround for this?