moderated Re: Web site hosting services

David Diamond

I can’t comment on that.  I was just told to register my business name because lawyers will just do a fishing exposition and if your name comes up rightly or wrongly they will file a law suit. Almost like dropping a fishing net in the water and whatever it catches, so be it.  I also have business insurance to prevent liable suits.  Not sure how it would work with ones not in my field.  I know there was someone in this area who offered dog day care or walking. She moved around a lot so if someone was not happy with her service, she’d never be found because of almost living out of her van and moving from town to town. Thanks for the feedback.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: August 19, 2020 11:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Web site hosting services

David,

Your general proposition that we need to look into a business’s reputation is good. However, I think you’re confusing two concepts. When you file a business certificate with a local office, such as a county clerk’s office, you’re only confirming that the business has a real person behind it. the way to protect against personal liability is to form a corporation. If all you’ve filed is a business certificate linking your given name to your business name, you can be sued. The case caption would be something like this:

XYZ v. Joe Soap d/b/a Bubbles Enterprises

“D/b/a” stands for “doing business as.”