moderated Re: Specs for a new desktop computer

Chris Hill

I pretty much agree with you on that.  Another thing: I wouldn't expect to get more than eight or ten years out of a computer no matter what I paid.  My last machine went through a power supply and was well on its way to a main board before I just got tired of dealing with it.  I'm pretty sure I'd have had a time finding a main board for a six year old Gateway, so I just bought myself a nice shiny new one, and moved on.

On 8/18/2020 16:56, Randy Barnett wrote:
I have a Dell XPS 8930 it's a little pricey but the performance is excellent 16 GB of RAM into PCI solid-state drive I five processor I seven is only needed if you do video editing or video games.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 18, 2020, at 7:16 AM, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer.  I have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better video card affect the speed of the computer?

Are there other ways to increase the speed of the computer?

Thanks.