moderated Re: Specs for a new desktop computer

Kelly Pierce

Choose your computer around the processor. Definitely get an i7 or
similar. I did the same as Abraham in 2013. I bought a dell computer
with the best i7 processor, 24 gigs of Ram, a 256 GB solid state drive
and a one tb rotating hard drive. It came with Windows 8.1 and was
easily upgraded this year to Windows 10. The only repair needed was
the replacement of the CD/DVD drive. It is likely to easily last
another 7 and not become outdated. Yes, it was a little pricy when I
bought it, but the price was significantly less than list because it
was the store display model.

Kelly

On 8/18/20, Abraham Sweiss <abrahamsweiss8@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is my

 2 cents.

Du not buy a computer for what your needs are  now but for the possible
needs in 5 years.

My current desktop was purchased in 2013.  I paid for the SSD drive and a 1
tb hard disk.  And the newest motherboard  chip set along with as much ram
as I could get.    And also got Windows 7 pro.  This way I can future proof
my computer and so far it has been working great and have been able to
upgrade to win 10 with no  issues.  And looking at the new low cost lap tops
and desktops, mine seems to perform better then the new ones.  And as long
as there are no catastrophic failures  expect this desktop will last another
7 years.

And lets not forget the desktop I have sitting next to it which  I had build
when Windows XP was released.  Think at least 20 years old and still running
great.  Only reason had to get new desktop was it did not support Windows 7.

In short make the investment now to get best of breed hardware to ensure a
long life for your desktop.  And find a distributor which will build it from
scratch

Thanks, Abraham

From: Ralph Supernaw via groups.io [mailto:rhs=startmail.com@groups.io]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 10:15 AM
Subject: Specs for a new desktop computer
It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer. I
have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the
speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical
applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can
pass along.
I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is
helpful and how much is overkill.
How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many
threads are a good number to shoot for?
How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant
difference in speed, what files should be on them?
Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better
video card affect the speed of the computer?
Are there other ways to increase the speed of the computer?
Thanks.