moderated Re: Specs for a new desktop computer

Chris Hill

From what I've dealt with, I'd say that four cores is a decent way to go, unless you're doing a ton of multitasking, more than that is likely overkill.  I've checked my system, and I seldom find it using more than 8 of my 16gb of ram.  I'm seldom using more than a web browser, k1000 and maybe word and an email program at the same time, and that is a heavy use case for me.  If you're programming or something, you might use more.  I also have a separate video card, so that may explain the low ram usage as well.  If money were any kind of issue for a blind user, I'd suggest forgetting the video card and getting extra ram only if you tend to keep a lot of stuff open at one time.

CH

On 8/18/2020 10:51, Mario wrote:
I can only make suggestions as 8 GB of RAM is a good amount to start with unless you intend to do intensive tasks. more RAM increases the number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think there is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm not clear on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness like the type, timings and other specs. .

opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy especially at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there aren't any moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and don't forget that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.
I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500 GB (of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs, tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be dedicated to run Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a (preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external HD should fail for some reason.

having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that is used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't know if there is any other benefit.

I'd like to hear about the other things you inquired about from those who know and can "do tell".

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ralph Supernaw via groups.io [mailto:rhs=startmail.com@groups.io]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 10:15 AM
Subject: Specs for a new desktop computer
It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer. I
have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the
speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical
applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can
pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is
helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many
threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant
difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better
video card affect the speed of the computer?

Are there other ways to increase the speed of the computer?

Thanks.