moderated Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

Glenn / Lenny

I had done the upgrade once too, and I did like you did, and made a backup of my 7, and I'm glad I did.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

Glen:

I am getting so fed up of many of the vagueries of Windows 10, that I am thinking of returning to Windows 7. Before installing Windows 10, I created images of all our systems, If I decide to go back to Windows 7, it will take just about 30 minutes, using a TWPE and the restore portion of Image for Windows, to restore Windows 7, to each computer. 

Oh! by the way! those members who like to throw out warnings of doom and gloom, if anyone chooses to use an older Windows operating system,, do not waste your time and effort on my behalf, I am a mature, responsible adult, and I am very very happy and capable about taking responsibility for my actions.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, 11 August, 2020 4:47 PM

Well I would not want 10, and they may not either.
Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 10:29 AM

Hi,

Actually, one can upgrade from Windows 7 to 8/8.1 through an in-place upgrade unless the product key is for a different edition. I concur with Brian: Windows 8.1 support ends in 2023, and beyond that point, Windows 10 is the way to go. This begs the question: did your friend tell you their reasons for not upgrading to Windows 10 for free?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

There is no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and never has been.   It must be installed from scratch, and you must acquire a license key for it.

The only free upgrade path was from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Personally, unless they're paying you, I'd refuse to install Windows 8.1 at this point.  It makes absolutely no sense to do so.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.