moderated Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:47 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
32-bit support is in slow decline, with OEM’s told to no longer produce 32-bit systems, specifically May 2020 Update (Version 2004( and later will not be preinstalled on 32-bit systems. Making matters complicated is mixed reception of Windows 10 on ARM64 chips.
-
Just an observation on this:  If you have actual 32-bit PC hardware, you seriously need to be budgeting for new(er) hardware now.

The ancient (and it's probably almost 20 now, maybe 15-18) Gateway machine with the Pentium Dual Core in it was already 64-bit hardware, though it was produced when 32-bit Windows still dominated, so it was actually shipped with 32-bit Windows 7.  At one point, after upgrading to 32-bit Windows 10, I did a completely clean reinstall so that I could go from 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit, as there is no direct upgrade path.  But once you have a Windows 10 license associated with the machine, it's good for either bit-depth of Windows 10, so I went for it.

But actual 32-bit PC hardware is not just ancient, but prehistoric at this juncture.  I can't remember the last time I touched actual 32-bit hardware (as opposed to 32-bit software, which is still common and runs just fine on 64-bit systems).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss