moderated Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

Glenn / Lenny

Brian,
Microsoft has not totally given up on support for even windows 7 users.
In fact MS recently decided to include the Edge browser as a windows 7 update that I did not ask for.
At first, I did not like that MS did this, but when FireFox was crashing, I'm glad it was available as an option, I sometimes use Chrome too.
And Security Essentials is still working in 7.
And there are third-party virus and malware tools available for folks to use.
It is only unsafe to the reckless user, and we should not be trying to scare people into drinking the Microsoft kool aid with regard to windows 10.
The fact is that if someone is reckless regarding what they download and sites they go to, no matter which version of windows, they are vulnerable to malicious software getting on their system.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
This begs the question: did your friend tell you their reasons for not upgrading to Windows 10 for free?
-
That would be interesting to know.

But regardless of the reason, I have gotten pretty adamant with my clients about Windows 10 or nothing if the question of upgrading arises.  It is completely unsafe to use any unsupported OS in contact with the internet.  Windows 8.1, unless someone already uses it, has been much more difficult for most Windows users to adjust to because it made a tectonic shift in presumptions about how things would be accessed, skewing almost entirely toward touch, that simply never materialized.  It's also got its clock ticking.

I won't even consider installing Windows 7 under any circumstances or any other version of Windows prior to 8.1, as they're all out of support.

And the sooner people, all of 'em, get over the idea that, "I don't like it," being a legitimate reason to reject an operating system the better.  It is now, and always has been, for sane users, a choice among what is currently under support for the hardware they have.  Choosing otherwise is willful stupidity (and, as someone who does this for a living, also would potentially expose me to liability I refuse to be exposed to).

There are things about Windows 10 I don't like, there were many things about Windows 8/8.1 I despised, there were things about Windows 7 I didn't like - see the pattern?  But what you actually use is what Microsoft supports, not what you personally prefer.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.