From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

There is no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and never has been.   It must be installed from scratch, and you must acquire a license key for it.

The only free upgrade path was from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Personally, unless they're paying you, I'd refuse to install Windows 8.1 at this point.  It makes absolutely no sense to do so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss