moderated Re: Jaws2020 laptop window10 for a friend

Patrick Murphy

Hi Addison,

I had a similar problem when I installed jaws 2020.

Once the machine booted up and jaws started, there was no jaws window no matter what I did.

Insert+j, alt+tab, nothing would bring it up.

However, jaws was speaking and doing what it should. You just coldn’t get to anything at all.

I subsequently found out, that it is to do with a feature of jaws called grace period authorization.

Jaws tries to authorize itself while it is loading. It would seem, on some machines running windows 10, that this results in jaws starting, but no jaws window ever appears.

Get her to unload jaws with insert+f4. Jaws will ask if you want to shut it down.

Click ok.

Then restart jaws, and you should have a window.

I found, that in order to do this without sighted assistance, I first created a shortcut on my desktop.

That way, when I shut jaws down, I was able to use windows key+m to get to the desktop, and then activate the shortcut.

I have never found an actual fix for this.

Freedom scientific have never addressed this problem either, as it seems to be random.

I have three dell inspiron machines running windows 10 2004 version.

One of these machines is over 10 years old.

They all act the same when running jaws 2020.

At the end of the day, if you really get stuck, install jaws 2018. There is no grace period authorization in this version, so it works fine.

Again, on my three machines, I have no problem with this version.

pat