moderated Re: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

Abraham Sweiss

In my case, I have direct access to the operations team that manages the systems for me. So all I need to do is email them.
You may want to develop a relationship with those individuals at your company to help streamline things.

Thanks,abraham 

On Aug 3, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Brian, you are right.   I pulled in a  number of people to get clearance to just call my local tech guy to help when I needed admin rights for something JAWS related. This was a lot easier when in the office, as I could just pop over to his desk with my laptop and have him type in his credentials. Feels like a much bigger to do if I have to set up a remote connection now, so I just haven’t dealt with it as of late.  My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.  In my case, I was trying to do the right think for my local guy by calling the helpdesk and getting them to log a ticket to engage the local guy. That’s what they want all other employees to do, but this was so difficult with a help desk that had no idea what JAWS is, so I just asked the manager of that team how I could do it in a more effective way.  Part of it is not being afraid to reach out to people higher up in an organization and just politely say that you are trying to do the right thing and figure out a better process.  I’ve also found out who our ADA compliance offers is within HR and will copy her on stuff so I have her backing. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 12:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 02:04 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:

I don’t have admin privileges to make some setting change for it to fully install.

-
Another battle I've had to engage in for multiple users of assistive technology (AT) of all sorts.  AT tends to need to update on a relatively frequent basis, and will most often do so on its own, but that feature is useless if the end-user cannot rely on it.

On some occasions, I have managed to get IT to create a special admin account where the login to same is tracked that allows the user to do the update when it comes along, and on others have made the IT department have a "drop everything now" policy (informal, of course) where the user could call with regard to an AT update and it would go to the top of the list.  These things are generally so quick and easy that if IT will not change its formal policies they are often willing to be a lot more flexible about providing direct service when needed.  It's not like it's every other day, either, but updates to AT usually aren't "purely decorative" in nature.

And the excuse, "Well, you could do your job before without {insert new feature that would make you so much faster and more efficient}," generally doesn't fly if your boss and, if needed, HR are behind you.   Reasonable accommodations are just that, and when a technology pops up that makes work life "more reasonable" and poses no credible security threat or other impediment (e.g., lack of HIPAA compliance), at least here in the USA providing same is legally obligatory.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.