moderated Re: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

Van Lant, Robin

I work for a large US bank and we have tight firewalls.   Our firewall settings have prevented the FTP connections needed for me to do the standard updates and for FS reader to download books.  I reached out to our firewall management team and they set up a session where I walked through what I was trying to do with JAWS and they watched the internet traffic to see the errors.   I know they were putting in a request for an exemption on the FS addresses.  I just tried again and now I can get FS Reader to download a book, but now ran into the issue that I don’t have admin privileges to make some setting change for it to fully install.  I havent’ tried Picture Smart to understand what the issue is there. FS support is the one who helped me understand that FS Reader was trying to make an FTP connection.

So, I recommend seeing if your firewall management team would be willing to do as I did and watch while you try to engage Picture Smart and  such so they can see what the hiccup is and put in a request for the adjustment.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fisher
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

Hi All. thanks for the various replies. I'm actually based in Western Australia - and do understand some of the privacy implicaitons fo GDPR etc - however I don't believe that will be an issue for me. So from what I here, only whitelisting all outgoing requests is the only answer. I'm assuming the technical people can trace those through the back end so we'll give that a go. Might need to flag that with FS - I would doubt I'm the only person who's come across this issue.

Cheers and stay safe.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems