moderated Using JAWS to Send Private Message during Zoom Meeting

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I have just recently become acquainted with Zoom and am still learning how to use it.  I know how to join a meeting both via a computer and via phone.  After I join a meeting, I know how to tab over to the list of participants.  I know that when I come to the list to press the Enter key and the list will appear and you can go through it with JAWS.  I know that in a Zoom meeting you can send a message either to everyone or privately to someone, and it is the second of these which I don’t know how to do.  When I have found a participant I want to send a private message to I have hit the Enter key to select that participant, but then when I either tab or Alt-Tab to the chat window there is always a message in it that says, “Find a Participant,” instead of showing it is a message from me to the participant.  I assume I must be doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what.

Rick Miller