moderated Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Justin Williams wrote:
It is your write (sic) under the AdA.
Your right under the ADA is to have a screen reader if that's what you need to do your job.  That screen reader need not be JAWS.  And I expect that as time progresses, and more employers accept NVDA and Narrator pushes further into the scene, that's what will end up being offered.

That being said, many larger companies that already have experience hiring employees who are blind or visually-impaired have volume licensing arrangements in place with Freedom Scientific.  So it absolutely makes sense to inquire about having JAWS, Fusion, or ZoomText (though I realize JAWS is what's wanted in this case) if that's what you prefer.  But if they say, "No, we expect you to use {insert other screen reader here}," that's perfectly within the bounds of the law.  In the immortal lyrics of the Rolling Stones, which apply here, "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need."

       ~ Lawrence Krauss