moderated Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Justin Williams

Yes, approach them through a written even letter if you want to make it more formal.

Or, just call them and tell them.

It is your write under the AdA.

And besides, if you don't use JAwS, how will you get the job done?

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Also, let’s not push our rights back into the dark ages.  What if you required a refreshable Braille Display.  Would you fork over $5,000 and purchase your own?  We have every right to have the equipment to perform our jobs!  We have fought long and hard for this right, don’t shove it out the door.  If you purchase your own license of JAWS you set a precedent for every single person with a disability that this company hires in the future.

Jim Weiss
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio - Board of Directors
Cuyahoga County Chapter - President

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

On Jul 23, 2020, at 9:08 AM, JOHN RIEHL via groups.io <REALMAN02@...> wrote:

That is an excellent point. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Several people have suggested avoiding paying for a Professional copy of JAWS and use a home use license.  The home use license is for just that, not for work.  Don’t forget that JAWS reaches out to the license server every time it is started.  You don’t know what type of information is being sent to the license server.  By using JAWS home annual license for work purposes is strictly forbidden and you take the chance of losing your license.  You may take your personal laptop to the office and use it for non-work related tasks, but if you are performing a job and using JAWS it really needs to be the Professional license.

Jim Weiss

“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” | Henry Ford

On Jul 23, 2020, at 8:54 AM, JOHN RIEHL via groups.io<REALMAN02@...> wrote:

Here’s how I would approach my employer.

Tell them you’re thrilled to be working for them and you want to hit the ground running as far as being productive. In order to do this, you need to have JAWS, a “screen reader” (you may have to explain what that means) on the work laptop you’ll be using. 

If you are going to use your own personal copy of JAWS, tell them that and say you would like to install your own copy of JAWS on the computer (that means they won’t have to pay for a copy of JAWS). Emphasize that, if u’r eusing your own personal copy, they won’t have to pay anything.  If you want them to buy the program, you’ll need to tell them that and stress that it’s a reasonable accommodation you need in order to do the job. You don’t necessarily need to use ADA specifically. 

I urge you to get in touch with them immediately. 

Stress the positive nature of you being ready and eager to start  working; all you need is this one small reasonable accommodation, etc etc. 

Hope this helps. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

I'd ask them to install JAWS, but leave4 the licensing and configuring to you, unless they're providing the license, in which case, let them license it and then hand it over to you for the rest.

On 7/22/2020 10:58 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

They probably have a tech person who takes care of their computers.

I would ask them to install Jaws for you and give them the Jaws key to put onto it.

Glenn

----- Original Message ----- 

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:51 PM

Subject: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Hi.

I’ve just been hired as a customer service representative, a work from home job.  For my work, I’ll be using a PC that they’re providing. I’d try to convince them to allow me to use my laptop, but I have to use their headset to do my job, and I suspect it wouldn’t work on my system. I think it uses Windows 10, but I don’t know the version. With all this in mind, I’m hoping to install JAWS on it. I do, however, have some questions to ask.

First, how do I approach them regarding installing JAWS on the PC? I don’t know much about Narrator, and I do know more about JAWS, so that would make me more productive from the start. I would rather not bring up the A.D.A. unless I have to.

My other concern is installing JAWS itself. Since this PC is specifically for work, I suspect they have limited what can be installed on it. What do I need to tell them I need to install it?

I get this PC on Friday, and my training begins on Monday morning.  The good news is I have all weekend to sort this out. The bad news is I think there won’t be people who can help me that work there over the weekend. This is why I’m writing this note tonight. I have all day tomorrow to get advice and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin, my girlfriend Valerie, and furry Jilly

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.