moderated Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

JOHN RIEHL

Here’s how I would approach my employer.

Tell them you’re thrilled to be working for them and you want to hit the ground running as far as being productive. In order to do this, you need to have JAWS, a “screen reader” (you may have to explain what that means) on the work laptop you’ll be using.

If you are going to use your own personal copy of JAWS, tell them that and say you would like to install your own copy of JAWS on the computer (that means they won’t have to pay for a copy of JAWS). Emphasize that, if u’r eusing your own personal copy, they won’t have to pay anything.  If you want them to buy the program, you’ll need to tell them that and stress that it’s a reasonable accommodation you need in order to do the job. You don’t necessarily need to use ADA specifically.

I urge you to get in touch with them immediately.

Stress the positive nature of you being ready and eager to start  working; all you need is this one small reasonable accommodation, etc etc.

Hope this helps.