moderated Re: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Steve Matzura

I'd ask them to install JAWS, but leave4 the licensing and configuring to you, unless they're providing the license, in which case, let them license it and then hand it over to you for the rest.

On 7/22/2020 10:58 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
They probably have a tech person who takes care of their computers.
I would ask them to install Jaws for you and give them the Jaws key to put onto it.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:51 PM
Subject: How do I approach an employer regarding installing JAWS on a PC they're giving me for my job?

Hi.

I’ve just been hired as a customer service representative, a work from home job.  For my work, I’ll be using a PC that they’re providing. I’d try to convince them to allow me to use my laptop, but I have to use their headset to do my job, and I suspect it wouldn’t work on my system. I think it uses Windows 10, but I don’t know the version. With all this in mind, I’m hoping to install JAWS on it. I do, however, have some questions to ask.

First, how do I approach them regarding installing JAWS on the PC? I don’t know much about Narrator, and I do know more about JAWS, so that would make me more productive from the start. I would rather not bring up the A.D.A. unless I have to.

My other concern is installing JAWS itself. Since this PC is specifically for work, I suspect they have limited what can be installed on it. What do I need to tell them I need to install it?

I get this PC on Friday, and my training begins on Monday morning.  The good news is I have all weekend to sort this out. The bad news is I think there won’t be people who can help me that work there over the weekend. This is why I’m writing this note tonight. I have all day tomorrow to get advice and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin, my girlfriend Valerie, and furry Jilly